For a while now I’ve wanted to try and bake (or in this case: freeze) my own granola bars. I look online for a few recipes but in the end I decided to put whatever I wanted in them. A lot of them were suggesting chocolate chips, coconut, seeds, cherries and a lot of other ingredients that I’m not interested in
- Rolled oats (300g)
- Raisins and sultanas
- Peanut butter (150g)
- Golden syrup (I have no idea how much I used – why would you weigh syrup?)
Other recipes that I saw used honey instead of golden syrup if you wanted an alternative.
If you wanted to you could finely chops the nuts so they blend in with the oats. I didn’t have the patience for that. Also, use as many nuts and dried fruits as your heart desires. I definitely did, as you can see from the photos…
- Place all of the nuts (and seeds if you’re using them) onto a baking tray with grease-proof paper and heat for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Heat the peanut butter and golden syrup until the mixtures is warm – there’s no need to wait for it to boil.
- Put the nuts in a bowl with the raisins, or any dried fruit that you want to use, and the oats.
- Pour the warm peanut butter/syrup mixture into the bowl with the nuts, fruit and oats.
- Mix all of the ingredients together until all of the oats are covered.
- Flatten the mixture into a tray – you can use any size depending on how thick or long you want the bars to be.
- Put the tray in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- When the mixture is frozen, take it out of the freezer and cut out the individual cereal bars while the mixture is still in the tray – this will stop the bars from crumbling and falling apart.
I found this recipe so easy to follow and I was surprised at how well the bars turned out! I’ve just tasted one and it was delicious. Filling, but delicious. Maybe next time I’ll make them a bit thinner…
Thanks for reading!
Let me know if you have any alternative recipes for granola bars or if you use any ingredients that I have listed here…
Ways you can reach me:
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @courteneyjn
- Instagram: @courteneynoonan
Bye for now,